Jul 8, 2011

Follistem, Menopur and Ganirelix....

The last week has a been a whirlwind to the Hale family. We are so thankful to report that Pierson's surgery went very well. They were able to fix the issue with his heart and he is recovering very quickly. Last I heard he might even be able to go home tomorrow. Lots of prayers needed still as this precious little boy recovers.

I began my nightly injection routine on Sunday of Follistem and Menopur. The side effects haven't been unbearable but noticeable. It has made me really sleepy and a little nauseous but nothing I can't push through. I am so thankful that these side effects haven't been more severe. Yesterday we had our first follow up sonogram and blood work to see how the medication is working. We had a great report of 20 follicles on each ovary with the follicles measuring around a 9. The Radiologist told us that each follicle grows about 2 mm per day and they classify them as mature when they are between 18-20 (which we already knew, this ain't our first rodeo). The prayer is that all of these follicles will grow at the same speed so that Dr. Douglas can remove all mature follicles.

The radiologist was very please with the follicles he saw which made me very happy. I was pretty nervous that they would only find a few so my legs were shaking the entire time. I told the Radiologist I was sorry but I was just a little nervous. Once we jumped that hurdle it was time to have my blood taken. All my levels ended up being great so we were able to keep my medication dosage the same.

Here is what tonight's medication looked like.



Tomorrow we go for a follow up sonogram to check the follicle sizes and find out if we can begin the 3rd nightly medication, Ganirelix. After that appointment we will go back on Monday and Tuesday to determine when the egg retrieval will be. They way it looks now it will either be on Thursday or Friday of next week. We will not know the date of the transfer until the embryos begin to grow and divide, which is so hard for me since I have to plan everything. God is definitely teaching me a lesson on patience.

Earlier this week I received a book from my company, Heaven is for Real. I truly work for the best company,  I can't even tell you how blessed I have been by FMS. Every year we are sent a new book around Fourth of July as a fun gift. I started reading the book and couldn't put it down. Basically, the story is about a little boy who became really sick and almost dies. During this surgery he visits heaven, although his family only begins to find out the details of his trip later on.

Growing up a christian I was taught about heaven and Gods love but this book really made me think. One of the things that this little boy Colton came back from heaven was God's love for children. I can't tell you how many times as a I child I sang "Jesus loves the little children", more times than I can remember. While in heaven the little boy met his sister who had died at 6 weeks during a miscarriage. She knew him and loved him even though they had never met. I never in my mind doubted that unborn children are in heaven. It made me think even deeper because of all the things Kevin and I are going through as well.

Many people argue that life doesn't begin until there is a heartbeat, but I don't agree. I can't wait to see how many of our eggs fertilize, and I believe that everyone of those embryos are our children. I know that not all of them will make it to transfer and some will not make it to freeze but we will one day meet these precious children in heaven. I have faith that the will be with Jesus until we get there and will be surrounded by Kevin and my family who are already in heaven.

God touched my heart when reading Colton's story and it gave me a greater peace that God is truly in control and loves us unconditionally. God has a purpose and a reason for Kevin and I going through this struggle to conceive and he has made our walk closer with him. We are both excited, scared, nervous and anxious about next week but I am thankful our heavenly father is in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment