Aug 6, 2011

Follow Up and Metformin

Yesterday Kevin and I had our follow up appointment with Dr. Douglas. I am so thankful that we didn't wait and went ahead and had this appointment. There are a couple possible reasons that the IVF wasn't successful. Either the embryo stopped growing or the embryos moved from the uterus so it wasn't able to attach. Because the embryos are microscopic they have no way of knowing exactly what happened. I loved how Dr. Douglas spent about 45 minutes going through our entire cycle and went over each embryo. He was frustrated that he wasn't able to tell us why it didn't work, but he said this happens to 1 out of 3 couples. He did say we were very lucky to have wonderful quality of embryos and eggs produced. He is confident that he can get us pregnant and that was all I really wanted to hear. I know he has seen thousands of women with issues, so his medical opinion really means a lot to us. We also talked about the frozen embryo transfer and he gave us encouraging news. We are going to start the process for the frozen embryo transfer when I start my next cycle which should be the first of September. This will be a lot less painful and hard on my body, which can also lead to success. We are already praying for that frozen baby, that it will survive and attach when it is thawed. Around 10% of embryos perish during the thawing stage, but since our embryo is a good quality we are praying it will be strong enough to survive.

After  visiting with the doctor I feel so much more reassured that we are on the right path. He is such an amazing doctor and really spent the time with us answering any questions we had. He also didn't charge us a dime for the visit. We also love his nursing staff! Both of his wonderful nurses were so kind to us yesterday and really care about their patients. One of them even was going to hold back some medicine for us if we were doing another round of IVF. We have been so blessed with this doctor and his office and I am so thankful for all they have done for us.

Today is my first full day of a 1000 mg of Metformin. I have been on 500 mg for 5 days and can tell a difference in my body. I have slept better than I have in years, and that's saying something. I have only had a couple times that I felt sick, and I'm hoping it stays that way. I will stay on 1000 mg until Friday and then will bump it up to 1500 mg. Dr. Douglas said that Metformin has been linked to reduced miscarriages in PCOS patients and will also increase the quality of my eggs if we do another round of IVF again. I am glad I decided to start it and I pray that it will make a great environment for the frozen embryo to survive. 

We are so thankful for the frozen embryo we have and ask that you continue to pray for it as we prepare for the transfer in the next couple of months. We are thankful for all the blessing God has given us and we are excited to see what plans he has made for us ahead!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you went ahead and had your appt today. I didn't want to go to ours so soon after our miscarriage, but Jason insisted that we needed to try the FET sooner rather than later. I'm praying hard for your little frosty embie! Please consider acupuncture before and after your transfer. I truly believe it's what caused us to have Gabriel! :)

    ReplyDelete