May 2, 2014

Birthday + Bush Library = A Happy Girl

My birthday festivities started on Tuesday when my sweet work friends took me to lunch and had yummy red velvet cupcakes for me. Brad Pitt even stopped by my office.



When I walked in the door that night I was surprised! Kevin had bought me some beautiful flowers and surprised me with my favorite cake from Nothing Bundt Cakes. Since he started chemo on my actual birthday we decided to go ahead and have a piece a day early so he could partake. It was so good, and we got the opportunity to share with his parents.



Kevin and I took my birthday off to have a little fun in Big D. We had a couple errands to run that morning in town and then we headed to one of my new favorite restaurants, Whiskey Cake in Plano for lunch. Everything is from local farmers and products from Texas. No trip is complete without the warm whiskey cake and hand whipped cream. After all calories don't count on your birthday.


After lunch we were off to Dallas to visit the Bush Presidential Library. I've always been a Bush fan. It all started in elementary school when I wrote a letter to Barbara and told her how much I loved her pearl necklace she wore. I received a letter back, I'm sure written by a staffer, but still it was sweet. W was the first president I was able to vote for, I loved what he stood for and what a Godly man he was. So, I was beyond excited about visiting the library. One of my sorority sisters actually works at the library but she was in Crawford on Wednesday helping with the wounded warrior bike ride. We were sad we missed her but knew that meant we have to make another trip.



We started with the temporary exhibit of The Art of Leadership and viewed all of his paintings. They were all really good, but my favorite was the painting of himself and his father. Kevin and I both agreed that was our favorite.




 
I really wanted to push the buttons on the side of the desk but I'm sure the staff wouldn't have appreciated that.

The rest of the museum was really touching too. There is a piece from 9-11 with every person who died that day written in a stone memorial. There is a replica of the oval office with the real furniture he had in the oval office, along with a family bible and pictures. Laura has several of her inaugural gowns, W's speeches, Ranger memorabilia from the days he was an owner and a Katrina decision room. Needless to say we loved our visit and plan to go back when we can get a tour with my friend Megan.

 
I bought a book and a key chain in the bookstore. Kevin bought some socks, seriously, he bought W socks and he loves them. Its the little things in life.


After the library we stopped by Northpark to do a little shopping with my birthday money that was burning a hole in my pocket. After the mall we did a little grocery shopping at Central Market and headed home after a full day. When we got home Kevin had another surprise for me, a sweet card and two more Alex and Ani bracelet to add to my collection. We are really celebrating next weekend after chemo so this was a mini celebration. He also bought me a hot pink FitBit but it is back ordered for 5 weeks. I can't wait to test it out. I've been checking out the Tory Burch FitBit covers, but they haven't been released yet. I can't wait to snag one when they are released.

Kevin's white blood count was up this week, they said last week was a fluke more than likely from allergies so he started chemo on my birthday. He's almost halfway through wit this months treatment. Yesterday I had a surgery in Dallas, and Kevin has had to do pretty much everything for me. Help me on and off the bed, on and off the potty, in and out of the shower. AND those compression hose tights they make you wear, he was a champ helping me get those on and off.

I'm so thankful for him, his parents and my parents, I don't know what I would have done without them. My sister made us a yummy dinner last night and I ate like I hadn't eaten in a week. Technically I hadn't eaten al day, but it was sooo good. I'm still pretty sore but should heal quickly (and I will talk about my surgery soon).

Next weekend we plan to live it up and celebrate the end of chemo this month and me turning 32. Got to stretch out that birthday as much as possible. I'm still on LOTS of meds and in a foggy haze of anthestia so no judgment on spelling or grammar in this post. Next week I'm doing my very first Advocare Cleanse, excited and a little scared. I'll fill you in on the details.

Happy Friday!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment