May 26, 2014

Eating your veggies

A couple of weeks ago I decided to do the Advocare 10 day cleanse. I've always been curious about the cleanse but was too scared to try it, until I was encouraged by a couple of sweet ladies I met. I would hear the word cleanse and automatically think {butt glued to the potty} that doesn't sound fun, at all. This was my first Advocare product and I was excited to give it a try. {I'm a Shakeology girl at heart, I love the taste, texture and nutrition so it felt like I was cheating a little}



Turns out it wasn't bad at all, I even lost a few pounds and feel better. I'm not sayin I was 100% clean on my eating. I slipped up a few times, but overall I did really well. No running to the potty either, except to flush out ALL the water I was drinking. I hate drinking water during the day {period} so I made sure and increased my water intake during the cleanse. It's only 10 days, you can do anything for 10 days, right?

Our friends had offered to bring over dinner one night while I was at the end of my cleanse and it was so good. It was a chicken and kale soup. Kevin liked it so much I made a big pot of it this week for dinner and the leftovers for lunch. 


I boiled the chicken with one white onion and chopped carrots (I forgot to get a couple large carrots so I used my baby carrots). I seasoned it with Mrs Dash and a little bit of Trader Joes garlic powder.  When the chicken is done I shredded it into small pieces and added a can of white kidney beans. Before you add the beans rise off the excess starch on the beans. That keeps the soup from having an extra goupie (technical word) texture. 

Once all the veggies are tender I add an entire bunch of organic kale. It feels like a lot of kale but I promise it cooks down. 



I add the kale and stir it around until it starts to reduce. I let it cook about 10 minutes and then I added about a half a bag of quinoa. Then I out the lid on and let it cook another 15 mins. 



Seriously, this is a yummy healthy version of chicken noodle soup minus the noodles. 

I've been obsessed with watermelon Popsicles from Central Market lately. Kevin and I decided we wanted to make our own. 


I'd seen the Zoku Quick Pop Maker at William Sonoma before and had always wondered if they were as easy as they looked. So while Kevin and I were out shopping over Memorial Day we decided to pick one up with one of my gift cards. 

It was super easy to use and clean up. We decided to try watermelon lime bars first. We blended fresh cut watermelon, a teaspoon of cut lime and juice from one lime in the bullet. 





Super easy to make and we were able to freeze 6 for later this week. Best of all no sugar added and they are a sweet treat. Can't wait to try other flavors this summer. 

Weight has always been an issue for me {thanks to PCOS and my love affair with red velvet cupcakes} even as a child. But I've noticed the more we've eliminated carbs and sugar the easier it's been to keep off the weight and even drop a few. 

I just always remind myself where I've been and I'm thankful for changing my lifestyle so I never go back there. 


Picture on left: 2005 (added 52 lbs)
Picture on right: 2014 (2 weeks ago)









No comments:

Post a Comment